Miang Kam เมี่ยงคำ
This is a popular Thai appetizer that is sweet, savory, and spicy all at once. Thais wrap everything up in a Betel leaf, which could be substituted for a spinach leaf, and cover it with a palm sugar syrup. Not only is it delicious but it makes a beautiful, colorful display. Enjoy!
Betel Leaves* ใบชะพลุ
Dried Shrimp กุ้งเเห้ง
Toasted coconut flakes มะพราวคั่ว
Chili Peppers พริก
Palm Syrup** นำ้ตาลเชี่อม
*Betal leaves are easy to find in Thailand. It is probably easiest to use spinich leaves if you are trying to make this somewhere else.
**Honey could be used as an easy substitute.
1. Roast the peanuts and toast the coconut flakes separately. (If not purchased that way)
2. Cut up the garlic, shallots, and ginger into tiny cubes.
3. Slice the lime, peel and all, into tiny slivers.
4. Slice the chili peppers into tiny slices.
5. Put all the ingredients into separate bowls and scoop a little bit individually into the leaves. Top off with palm syrup or honey.